[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 96: Deferred C++ plugin loading

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 16 04:10:36 PST 2023

Hi Sean,

> I think this makes great sense for the project. I don't yet understand
> what it means for an enterprise like Rasterio's PyPI wheels.

I'd say it probably changes nothing. The RFC just postpones the time
where the plugins are loaded, but the fact that they are dlopen()'ed
(early or late) probably makes them non discoverable by delocate, since
libgdal doesn't link to them in a way that is advertised in its shared
library metadata. If your plan is to still have a rasterio wheel with a
monolithic GDAL, then you don't need to build GDAL drivers as plugins
and this RFC doesn't change anything to the status quo.

I'm not familiar at all with the wheel Python packaging tools, but if
you'd want to have GDAL plugins in separate package(s) then you'd need
to have a way of having the gdal_XXX.so / ogr_XXX.so be put in some
known location that can be advertized to libgdal core with GDAL_DRIVER_PATH.

Even