[gdal-dev] RFC97 OGRFeatureDefn, OGRFieldDefn and OGRGeomFieldDefn "sealing" available for review

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 16 12:25:08 PST 2023

Hi,

Please review RFC 97: OGRFeatureDefn, OGRFieldDefn and OGRGeomFieldDefn
"sealing"

at https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8734

This RFC aims at avoiding common misuse of the setter methods of the
OGRFeatureDefn, OGRFieldDefn and OGRGeomFieldDefn classes. Indeed, the
setter methods of those classes should not be used directly by user code
(that is non driver implementations), on instances that are owned by a
OGRLayer. It is quite frequent for users (even seasoned ones) to neglect
that constraint. Hence this RFC introduces an optional "sealing"
capability that drivers can enable to avoid users modifying instances
that they should not.

Even