[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.8.1 RC1 is available, and motion to approve it

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Nov 24 07:25:07 PST 2023

Le 24/11/2023 à 14:34, Sebastiaan Couwenberg via gdal-dev a écrit :
> On 11/24/23 13:22, Hernán De Angelis via gdal-dev wrote:
>> May be this is of help: I have seen the case of the .py utilities not
>> been compiled and installed a couple of times when I mistakenly had
>> two Python versions present and acccessible.
>
> There is an issue with setuptools silently failing with python3.12:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/1055682

This looks like a Debian specific issue. I can't replicate that locally
with a manually built python 3.12.0 (cf
https://gist.github.com/rouault/10096d152198a837ba3200af3cec04a9). It
also works fine on Fedora Rawhide: cf
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/actions/runs/6981942751/job/19000094023?pr=8812

I've tried in a debian:unstable Docker image, and I indeed reproduce the
issue. I believe I've fixed that in
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8812 (as well as not ignoring the
installation failure). It seemed due to the fact that we previously add
to define SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=stdlib to make things work, and
apparently this is no longer needed. I'll let you cherry-pick those
changes
(https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8812/commits/11cd5251e3166648ab51ca499468d0b144fcbfe9
and
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8812/commits/248d7809a46d2fefd7fe320b434182ebe2805ca7),
as I'll likely will not issue a RC3 for that.

Even