[gdal-dev] GDAL Maintainers Meeting Minutes

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sun Nov 26 14:24:23 PST 2023

> On Nov 26, 2023, at 2:07 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
>
> Javier,
>>
>>   * use TILED=YES by default in GTiff driver
>>
>> Was that decided? As some people pointed (including me) a big tiled geotiff without overviews take ages to load in QGIS.
> No, pretty much all items are still just ideas (well, perhaps besides enabling Python exceptions by default, which I can't really imagine postponing any further than a 4.0 :-)), some of them not necessarily desirable or turning out to not be easily implementable. Most of them will only make sense if we have sufficient community buy-in, as they'll break things for existing users.

I guess should have put even more qualifying adverbs there I guess :) The big question is should the next major release be 3.9 or 4.0, and if it is to be 4.0, what behavior and API changes are tolerable and worth the trouble? That list of stuff in 8440 is where to have the discussion.

> Small clarification: RFC 98 intends to capture all consequences. No other RFC related to that for now :-)

Correct.

When Python exceptions are always enabled by default in GDAL 4.0, one of my life goals will be satisfied.

Howard