[gdal-dev] GDAL driver Open() calls

Fengting Chen fengting.chen at oracle.com
Tue Nov 28 14:40:32 PST 2023

Hi,

I noticed from the GeoRaster driver that in GDAL 3.6 and 3.7 (maybe 3.8 too),  there are two GDALOpen() calls on the driver with GDALOpenInfo eAccess as GA_ReadOnly, even when the GeoRaster is the output format in gdal_translate command. There are no such calls in GDAL 3.4. I am wondering if these invocations of Open() with eAccess as GA_ReadOnly are necessary when the driver is the output driver. This has caused performance issue for the GeoRaster driver when a user is trying to load the data into Oracle database because it has two unnecessary reads from the database.  If these Open() calls are unavoidable, how to differentiate the calls whether it is as input or as output in the gdal_translate command?

Thanks.