[gdal-dev] Questions regarding temporary database file (ogr2ogr with MVT driver)

leo.fuhrmann.lgln at icloud.com leo.fuhrmann.lgln at icloud.com
Fri Oct 6 08:11:12 PDT 2023

Thank you for your answers, Even and Jukka.

> I don't observe this

> During the process the file explorer only shows that the file exists but with file size of 0 bytes

You’re right. When setting OGR_MVT_REMOVE_TEMP_FILE=NO I can also see and inspect the file, either in combination with -dsco TEMPORARY_DB=... on my local fs or with CPL_VSIL_USE_TEMP_FILE_FOR_RANDOM_WRITE=YES on the S3 storage. Thanks for clearing this up. Everything works as expected then.

Your text cut off at the interesting bit, could you elaborate on this @Even?

> Also, the MVT generator is intended to be basic

That’s why we like to use it. Also it gives the wonderful opportunity to have PostGIS and many more as data sources.

Is it possible to create the temporary database without subsequently creating the tiles? And is it possible to use the temporary database as a data source directly? I imagine the following case: create the temp db, then create different tile sets from it. This would save some time during the tiling process, since the temp.db would not have to be created each time.

Thanks