[gdal-dev] OAPIF: how does the driver utilize schema?

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Oct 10 00:20:07 PDT 2023

Hi,

The documentation in https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/oapif.html#layer-schema is wrong when it claims this:
OGR needs a fixed schema per layer, but OGC API - Features Core doesn't impose fixed schema. So the driver will retrieve the first page of features (10 features) and establish a schema from this.

I can see from the debug info and from the source code that if GDAL finds a relation of type "describedBy" for a collection then it reads and interprets the schema from the link. However, I am not sure if  GDAL in this case trusts the schema and skips scanning of the first ten features for harvesting the attributes.

BTW, the name of the relation type has been changed into "describedby" due to https://github.com/opengeospatial/ogcapi-features/issues/338. It is better to support both describedBy and describedby.

-Jukka Rahkonen-