[gdal-dev] including higher-level library in GPX creator string

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Oct 13 09:33:27 PDT 2023

Cf https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8558: "GPX: add a CREATOR dataset
creation option"

It will be of course up to the application / application user to set it.

I've considered a global GDALSetDefaultCreatorApplication() (could be
similar to CPLHTTPSetDefaultUserAgent():
https://gdal.org/doxygen/cpl__http_8h.html#ae83c06d51089bb340ed0b98a6ed8d01d)
so that an application could set a default for all formats that write a
creator application, but this leads to introducing potential options to
express "totally replace the GDAL version" vs "add my name in addition
to the GDAL version", or "put application/version number only when
required by the format" vs "put application/version wherever the format
could allow it, but only if there's a standardized location to do so" vs
"put application/version wherever the format could allow, potentially it
in a custom metadata item if there's no standardized location". e.g in
netCDF, we have a custom attribute GDAL = "GDAL x.y.z, released
YYYY/MM/DD" (it would not be appropriate to put the identification of
the larger application in it, given the name of the attribute and the
fact that GDAL itself parses it on reading to determine the bottom-up vs
top-up orientaiton).  So I've not pursued this given all those dilemmas :-)

Even