[gdal-dev] Notice: issue about multi-threaded GTiff compression+decompression

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 16 08:25:51 PDT 2023

Le 16/10/2023 à 17:14, Kurt Schwehr a écrit :
> Thanks for the heads up!
>
> Can you share that SHAs of the fix and cause?

master: d083af1ec9c38e79bfb0532885570de6e5b8a410

3.7 branch (should apply to 3.6 as well):
b5858ed5bc5004c97f7cd6000674015bdc70b33b

cause: a worker thread of the multithreaded decoding could, in a
situation where the block cache is full, cause a "dirty" (ie modified
but not yet serialized to disk) block to be written, resulting in either
a deadlock between the lock of the multithreaded decoder and the lock of
the job queue mechanism, or other decoding threads could see their file
handle being seek() by another thread.  In short: multithreading is hard.