[gdal-dev] Call for discussion/review of RFC95: Use standard C/C++ integer types

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 09:21:13 PDT 2023

+1 Yes please!!

Thoughts:
- I've battled with the types so many times over the years. The pain caused
by a switch will be well worth it
- Q1: I'm for going to GDAL 4.0.
- Q2: Having a GDAL_USE_OLD_INT_TYPES for a while seems like a good idea to
expose the alias to users of the library
- Q3: Yes to vsi_l_offset -> uint64_t. I'm 90% for it. For me: Yes offset
has meaning, but if the type is critical to understanding a function /
method interface, we should have a comment. Knowing that it's an unsigned
64 bit int is usually more important. Would be great if anyone against this
change could speak up and give some examples.

Short term pain, but long term big gains in readability for people new to
GDAL / stability / maintainability / ability to cross compile.