[gdal-dev] Call for discussion/review of RFC95: Use standard C/C++ integer types

Laurențiu Nicola lnicola at dend.ro
Fri Sep 15 09:32:53 PDT 2023

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023, at 19:21, Kurt Schwehr wrote:
> - Q3: Yes to vsi_l_offset -> uint64_t. I'm 90% for it. For me: Yes offset has meaning, but if the type is critical to understanding a function / method interface, we should have a comment. Knowing that it's an unsigned 64 bit int is usually more important. Would be great if anyone against this change could speak up and give some examples.

It's 2023, not 1993. I'm going to assume that any library using 32 bits for file lengths or offsets is unmaintained. So I don't really care about the width here.

As for the typedef, it's nice to have, but not terribly necessary either when you have good IDE tooling 2023, right?).

So I'm +0 on this change.

Laurentiu