[gdal-dev] Call for discussion/review of RFC95: Use standard C/C++ integer types

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 10:01:02 PDT 2023

Hi Even,

I'm in favor of overhauling the types in the next major version. However,
I'm not convinced we need to jump immediately to 4.0. The current situation
isn't ideal, but isn't holding us back very much right? GDAL is growing new
features rapidly and it doesn't seem that the old types have been a blocker
or huge friction for core developers.

Speaking for Fiona and Rasterio, supporting GDAL versions 3.5-3.7 and 4.0
at the same time will be a pain and will require some conditional
compilation changes throughout the code. These projects will need some time
to prepare. And I'd be more enthusiastic about supporting 3.7 and 4.0
simultaneously if 4.0 made GDAL's C API tangibly better, like dataset
unification in 2.0 or the PROJ switch in 3.0.

--
Sean Gillies