[gdal-dev] Call for 4.0 ideas

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 20 16:33:25 PDT 2023

Le 21/09/2023 à 01:12, Joaquim Manuel Freire Luís a écrit :
> Remove spatial_ref WKT export in netCDF driver (GDAL 4) #4712
>
> Would this mean all codes that use spatial_ref would be broken????!!!!

yes, spatial_ref is AFAIK a GDAL specific thing that predates the
introduction of crs_wkt in the CF conventions (cf
https://github.com/cf-convention/cf-conventions/issues/222,
https://github.com/opendatacube/datacube-core/issues/837 where this is
also discussed). Recent GDAL versions write both crs_wkt and spatial_ref
as a transition step. This would complete the transition by removing
writing spatial_ref (presumably we'd still accept it on the reading side
for older datasets). Code that only checks for spatial_ref should be
adapted to deal with crs_wkt, since it is the standardized attribute,
independently on whether GDAL discontinues writing spatial_ref or not.