[gdal-dev] GeoTIFF and concurrent block reads

Laurențiu Nicola lnicola at dend.ro
Thu Sep 21 06:38:36 PDT 2023

Hello,

GDAL 3.6 added support for multi-threaded reading using PRead, but I couldn't spot ReadBlock using the same code path. On the other hand, I didn't see it taking a lock either, so I'm a little confused :-). My question is whether ReadBlock supports concurrent reads or not (*).

(*) I think these can also be implemented at VSI level by wrapping a file handle and turning Seek + Read into a PRead (when supported), even for drivers that don't explicitly support PRead.

Thanks,
Laurentiu