[gdal-dev] Call for 4.0 ideas

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Sep 21 09:18:27 PDT 2023

| But I have more troubles to understand why breaking code that use
spatial_ref for decades without any real need

Have you ever looked at the mess in the netcdf driver? Aligning with
recommendations from standards, especially on the write side, and
helping to reduce a bit code bloat (although mostly symbolic here) is
helpful.

Another thing is that as currently we write both crs_wkt and
spatial_ref, this can puzzle human or software readers, and that could
result in inconsistencies if a writer would update one of the attribute
without the other one.

> @Even is it worth a pass through other drivers to swap default option
> values or remove obsolete options with 4.0?

I'd suggest people with interest in a particular driver do their own
pass and add their suggestions to the meta-ticket (there have already
been suggestions to change GTiff defaults to use LZW and tiling).

| And do another deprecation/cull through unused drivers?

maybe, but do we have data points to assess what can be deprecated?
(other than me blowing off out of frustration occasionally and randomly
picking candidates :-) :-))