[gdal-dev] Call for 4.0 ideas

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Thu Sep 21 08:57:53 PDT 2023

Hi Joaquim,

There have been other similar changes... for example, GDAL added an
aspatial extension[1] to GeoPackage v1.0 to support non-geo tables... the
GeoPackage standard added support for such tables in v1.2; so our extension
is no longer needed: GDAL still reads it, but no longer writes it [2].
We've done similar things in other drivers, and obviously removed entire
drivers before.

Every line of code has some test and maintenance burden... Are there netcdf
readers that *don't* support crs_wkt and *only* support spatial_ref?

@Even is it worth a pass through other drivers to swap default option
values or remove obsolete options with 4.0? And do another deprecation/cull
through unused drivers?

Rob :)

[1] https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/geopackage_aspatial.html
[2]