[gdal-dev] resampling algs warp vs translate

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 13:25:52 PDT 2023

Can we aspire to translate having the same set of resampling algorithms as
the warper?

I see the warper adds min, max, mod, q1, q3, sum

I especially wanted sum for OVERVIEW_RESAMPLING in COG, and I can see where
it's done and  ...  can maybe see my way through that ... but the 600 lines
of code in GDALResampleChunk_AverageOrRMS_T kind of reins in my confidence.

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/26e7ff91504e0303434f440e6d19e58f2a206b45/gcore/overview.cpp#L1211C15-L1211C47

It came up as a need for statistical properties required for
overview-publishers, and while I think we can incrementally build up the
SUM-pyramid with external overivews via CLI it would be awesome to have the
same stats for the two resampling regimes.

Thank you

--
Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer