[gdal-dev] discussion on xarray and the missing abstract-grid specification

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Apr 3 14:26:58 PDT 2024

Hi,

Not that I've a strong opinion on what GeoZarr/XArray should do, but yes
1D coordinate arrays are a bit of a pain to deal with, when they
actually just encode a regularly spaced grid. This is something I've hit
in the bridge between the GDAL multidimensional API (roughly netCDF
based) and the GDAL "classic" 2D raster API, when you want to expose a
view of a multi-dim dataset as a classic one. There's this bit of logic
in
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gcore/gdalmultidim.cpp#L7334
to guess if the 1D coordinate array is regularly spaced or not. The
netCDF driver has a similar heuristics too. This is quite error prone,
especially if Float32 coordinates are used. There it can be difficult to
detect if it is a regularly spaced array but Float32 hasn't sufficient
precision to fully encode it, or if it there are genuine irregularities
in the spacing. For Float64, the precision issues are less a practical
error, because comparing the expected value (assuming a regular spacing)
with the one of the 1D coordinate array with a very small relative
epsilon, like 1e-8, is sufficient.

Even