[gdal-dev] Hungarian Notation

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Apr 17 09:09:07 PDT 2024

Hi,

This is described in https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc8_devguide.html
. I've submitted https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/9689 so it is going
to be linked to
https://gdal.org/development/dev_practices.html#making-changes-to-gdal

I'd probably agree that at my beginnings in GDAL, I might have felt
unfamiliar with the Hungarian notation, but now I've fully internalized
it, so I hardly notice it. It would be interesting to have opinions of
other developers if they find it inconvenient/a hurdle, are neutral or
like it.  The thing is that if we decide to no longer use it, the
inconsistency of mixing free style naming and Hungarian notation might
be problematic and make code confusing. We should probably aim at being
consistent at least at the scope of a given function or file.

Even