[gdal-dev] Block cache and VRT sources

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Apr 19 08:09:26 PDT 2024

Sean,

Within a given GDALDataset opened on a VRT, if the VRT references
several times the same source, only one GDALDataset will be opened for
it, so you may benefit from the block cache mechanism (if it is
triggered. VRTSource::IRasterIO() calls IRasterIO() on the source band,
which doesn't necessarily always trigger block-based reading).  But if
you open another VRT (or the same one), it will not share the same
GDALDataset for sources that may be common with the first one, so no
re-use of existing block cache. For network sources, the I/O cache at
the /vsicurl/ level works however on filenames, not VSIFILE* instances,
so you will save network reads

Even