[gdal-dev] Bumping TileDB minimum from 2.7 to 2.15 for GDAL 3.9?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Apr 24 15:51:33 PDT 2024

Le 25/04/2024 à 00:39, Andrew C Aitchison via gdal-dev a écrit :

> On Wed, 24 Apr 2024, Even Rouault via gdal-dev wrote:
>
>> A future TileDB version will remove various deprecated API that the
>> GDAL TileDB driver currently uses.
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/9725 migrates away from those
>> deprecated APIs, but that causes the minimum requirement from TileDB
>> to go from 2.7 to 2.15. It would probably be wise to backport this
>> cleanup in the 3.9 branch, so that it doesn't cause later packaging
>> issues, typically with conda-forge builds as soon as they will
>> package the future TileDB version removing the deprecated APIs, which
>> might occur during the GDAL 3.9.x life cycle. Does anyone see an
>> issue in doing this bump? The few distributions I'm aware of shipping
>> TileDB meet the >= 2.15 requirement: Conda-forge already ships TileDB
>> 2.22, Alpine Linux is a 2.17.4.
>
> https://docs.tiledb.com/main/how-to/installation/building-from-source
> suggests that TileDB requires a C++20 compiler.
>
> Is that an issue ?

I don't think so. For now, the public C++ API of TileDB even of the
latest versions is C++17 compatible.  And to build TileDB itself,
digging into their CMakeLists.txt, I see that up to 2.16, it used to be
C++17 compatible, so it should be possible to have a GDAL build against
TileDB with only a C++17 compiler by sticking to TileDB 2.15 or 2.16.
The requirement for C++20 to build TileDB has started with 2.17.0.

On a somewhat related note, I should not that the upcoming version of
Poppler (2024.05) requires a C++20 compiler, including to include its
headers from GDAL (as we use a somewhat semi-public/semi-private C++
API, not much care is done on it to be usable). So some of our
dependencies might require C++20 in their latest versions. And before we
switched GDAL to require C++17 we already had to force C++17 for some
drivers like TileDB, Poppler, PDFIUM.

Even