[gdal-dev] gdal2tiles for floating point images

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 14:00:10 PDT 2024

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 5:37 AM lefsky--- via gdal-dev <
gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> I'd like to have a version of gdal2tiles that handles image types other
> than uint8. Is there a reason why it doesn't handle those types of images?
> It appears I'd have to modify the output format from png to tiff.  I have
> never modified gdal source before and I'm wondering if this modification
> (which appears straightforward to a naive user) hasn't been done before.

Hello, it appears to be sufficient to add GTiff to tiledriver options,
handle the file extension, and add an option to override the error/message
that advises conversion to Byte:

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/compare/master...dis-organization:gdal:gdal2tiles-nonbyte

I wanted this myself as I'm working on a version of the tiling in an R
package, and I'm not confident enough about it without being able to
compare to gdal2tiles.py.

It will need care to prepare it and merge into GDAL itself, with some
thought about documentation, implications for html output (it's compleltely
incompatible with the html produced I expect), and tests, but if you want
to use it locally it seems ok and I'm happy to follow up off-list.

Note that you can use VRT to reference such a tiled output for numeric
data, I used it for a tiled global elevation source here (so if we fold
this into GDAL that could be a nice option to include, VRT for reading as
TMS):

https://github.com/hypertidy/sds/blob/main/R/sources.R#L41

Cheers, Mike

> Michael
>

> --
> Michael Lefsky (He/His)
> Home Location: HVHF+GH
> Cell: 970-980-9036
> http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-7224-2009
>
> *“for being prematurely, and worse, intuitively right — there’s a heavy
> price. But for being wrong — no, not so long as you’re wrong in a pack."
> Gary Brecher / Portis*
>
> *I acknowledge that I live and work on stolen land. This is the land of
> the Cheyenne, Arapaho, Ute, and Ocheithi Sakowin people. To learn more
> about these nations, please visit;
> http://www.utemountainutetribe.com/
> http://www.cheyennenation.com/
> https://cheyenneandarapaho-nsn.gov/