[gdal-dev] WriteBlock() not supported using JP2ECW driver?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Feb 7 11:45:24 PST 2024

Scott,

> I’m trying to create a JPEG2000 file using the JP2ECW driver, but I’m
> getting “WriteBlock() not supported…”.  The same code works using the
> PNM driver.
>
> What am I missing?

This comment in the code
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/0255b1d767bbfc6910d8044e37019f1d1ea5a617/frmts/ecw/ecwcreatecopy.cpp#L1653
which basically says that there's some form of Create() support in the
JP2ECW driver but you need to write by scanline from top to bottom. The
PNM, GTiff etc drivers implement full random-writing, which is what is
required typically for gdalwarp. The workaround is either to modify the
way you write the file (if you use the API), or if you use GDAL tools to
write to an intermediate format (GeoTIFF) and then gdal_translate to
JPEG2000 afterwards.

Even