[gdal-dev] Question about PG_LIST_ALL_TABLES in the documentation

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Feb 20 06:37:35 PST 2024

Hi,

I don't undestand this part of the PosgGIS driver documentation https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/pg.html#faqs
"Permission issues on geometry_columns and/or spatial_ref_sys tables can be generally confirmed if you can see the tables by setting the configuration option PG_LIST_ALL_TABLES to YES. (e.g. ogrinfo - -config PG_LIST_ALL_TABLES YES PG:xxxxx)"

For the first, was the meaning to say the opposite, that there are permission issues if you cannot see the tables? And for the second, with current GDAL and PostGIS versions user does not see geometry_columns and spatial_ref_sys on the ogrinfo layer list even with this config option. It seems that they are filtered away from the result. I do see that the config option has an effect and for example raster_columns and raster_overviews are added to the layer list.

An easy way to check the permissions is to query those views/tables directly.
ogrinfo PG:xxxxx spatial_ref_sys
ogrinfo PG:xxxxx geometry_columns

If ogrinfo lists something else than an error, then permissions are OK. Is this method good enough so I could edit the documentation?

-Jukka Rahkonen-