[gdal-dev] GeoTiff with ColorInterp=Palette

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Feb 20 04:04:12 PST 2024

Le 20/02/2024 à 11:15, Elena Ruiz via gdal-dev a écrit :
> Hello, I have version 3.6.2 of GDAL and I need to crop an image using
> a contour from a GML file, so far there is no problem.
>
> The problem begins when the original image is a GEOTIFF with
> transparency and it generates a cropped image, the information of both
> images is a little lower.
>
> The color table changes from having 2 values to having 256, this
> causes it to lose transparency although it has the label "Mask Flags:
> PER_DATASET ALPHA" which indicates that it has an alpha channel.
>
> My question is, why does the color table change?, and is there any
> parameter that can be used with gdalwarp or gdal_translate to avoid
> this and keep the image transparent?

Strictly speaking your input image has no transparency, just black &
white colors. Not sure which one you interpret as transparent?

You could force a 1-bit output image (ie with a color palette of 2
colors) by adding -co NBITS=1 . But that will likely won't play well
with -dstalpha.  You'd then want to use instead -dstnodata 0 if black is
the transparent color or -dstnodata 1 if white is the transparent color

Even