[gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Lack of srs importFromESRI integer function

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Wed Jan 10 10:54:47 PST 2024

This is the discussion I have with my colleagues every time (but with
EPSG). The wanted to use an integer, and I ask them again and again to use
a better notation like "EPSG:{code}". The method that Even mentions,
SetFromUserInput, works with "EPSG:code", with "ESRI:code", with a WKT,
with a PROJJSON, etc. It makes the management of the CRS much easier. When
you need something more complicated than an ESRI code, if your API is only
ready for an integer value... you have a lot of things to refactor (months
of work, I can tell you).

Technically ESRI and EPSG there are overlapping. As you can see in this
link there are some non-deprecated ESRI codes below 33000:
https://crs-explorer.proj.org/?ignoreWorld=false&allowDeprecated=false&authorities=ESRI&activeTypes=PROJECTED_CRS,GEOGRAPHIC_2D_CRS,GEOGRAPHIC_3D_CRS,GEOCENTRIC_CRS,GEODETIC_CRS,VERTICAL_CRS,COMPOUND_CRS&map=osm

And many more if you "Allow deprecated".