[gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Lack of srs importFromESRI integer function

Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] jesse.r.meyer at nasa.gov
Wed Jan 10 11:46:17 PST 2024

To be clear, I wasn’t advocating for less functionality.  I wanted more!  We know what our constraints are, and we’ve had significant issues in the past with slightly different projection related strings producing surprisingly different outputs.  Keying off a single value simplifies a tremendous amount for us, with a slight loss in generality and increase in error modes.

For now, the logic resembles:
Crs_string = “EPSG:{crs_code}”
If crs_code > 32767:
    Crs_string = “ESRI:{crs_code}”

SetFromUserInput(crs_string)

The lack of such a function implied that there were overloaded values between the authorities (and perhaps, there were more than 2).

Jesse

From: Javier Jimenez Shaw <j1 at jimenezshaw.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 1:55 PM
To: Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
Cc: "Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]" <jesse.r.meyer at nasa.gov>, "gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org" <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Lack of srs importFromESRI integer function

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of NASA.  Please take care when clicking links or opening attachments.  Use the "Report Message" button to report suspicious messages to the NASA SOC.

This is the discussion I have with my colleagues every time (but with EPSG). The wanted to use an integer, and I ask them again and again to use a better notation like "EPSG:{code}". The method that Even mentions, SetFromUserInput, works with "EPSG:code", with "ESRI:code", with a WKT, with a PROJJSON, etc. It makes the management of the CRS much easier. When you need something more complicated than an ESRI code, if your API is only ready for an integer value... you have a lot of things to refactor (months of work, I can tell you).

Technically ESRI and EPSG there are overlapping. As you can see in this link there are some non-deprecated ESRI codes below 33000:
https://crs-explorer.proj.org/?ignoreWorld=false&allowDeprecated=false&authorities=ESRI&activeTypes=PROJECTED_CRS,GEOGRAPHIC_2D_CRS,GEOGRAPHIC_3D_CRS,GEOCENTRIC_CRS,GEODETIC_CRS,VERTICAL_CRS,COMPOUND_CRS&map=osm

And many more if you "Allow deprecated".