[gdal-dev] false easting and northing units

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jan 25 16:10:01 PST 2024

Kirk Waters - NOAA Federal via gdal-dev <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
writes:

> Thanks for the explanation and tips. I'm not clear on how setting to 26988
> (Michigan North meters) would help. If I do a gdal_translate with that, it
> shows as being in New Zealand, just as Arc had done. It would certainly
> make lots more sense to actually put the data in a standard projection that
> has an EPSG code (meters or international feet), but that gets back to the
> embarrassing tale. It may well be that I'll have to force GeoTiff 1.0. I
> think there are other software packages that haven't caught up. Even when
> they do catch up, I've come across people running 15 year old CAD software
> and complaining about the DXF version GDAL produces.
>
> Thanks to the whole team for the work you do to maintain GDAL.

Have you filed a bug with ESRI?  I realize that through no fault of your
own you are in a bit of an Alice In Wonderland situation where

  customers and government pay lots of money to ESRI

  same use GDAL for free

  you know that when reporting bugs and asking questions to GDAL you'll
  likely get answers

  everybody says that proprietary software is great because it is
  supported

  somehow, people don't report bugs and have high normative expectations
  for fixes from proprietary software

but in this case it seems that ESRI is wrong to be applying a workaround
for an old bug for geotiff 1.1, and that it should be fixed.   I would
expect people have a support contract, can report the bug, and should
therefore expect a micro release with a bugfix in say 30 days?  That
would be fast for open source, but I would have higher expectations for
software people are paying for.