[gdal-dev] Virtual Raster Tile Index (VRTTI) driver, and associated gdaltindex improvements

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 03:31:01 PST 2024

awesome, thanks Even I'm having fun with this one.

For anyone interested I created Python to parse the OpenTopography COP90
VRT (I have to wget it locally as I don't know how to hit the URL for the
xml yet).

https://github.com/mdsumner/cog-example/blob/1ca74f3baffe69830180031ddabcbbc569816150/gti/cop90.py

(I'm using the DstRect to get efficient extent polygon of each tif without
opening them).

This writes a cop90.shp which can be GTI'd via

gdalinfo GTI:/vsicurl/
https://github.com/mdsumner/cog-example/raw/main/gti/cop90.shp

(seems I didn't get the SRS attached correctly).

I also have an R script in there for COP30 that I did previously to
FlatGeoBuf, I couldn't get FlatGeoBuf to work from Python and don't know
why.

If there's any pythonic-idiomatic advice on my code I'm very interested,
slowly I'll try to use this to do the same in C++.  If there's a faster way
to get these extents with GDAL I'm also keen to hear, thanks!

Cheers, Mike

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 10:19 PM Even Rouault via gdal-dev <
gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the driver has recently landed into GDAL master, renamed as GTI:
> https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gti.html
>
> Can be tested using
> https://gdal.org/download.html#gdal-master-conda-builds , the refreshed
> ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal Docker image, or other nightly builds of GDAL master
>
> Even
>
> Le 20/12/2023 à 19:33, Even Rouault via gdal-dev a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > For those not actively following github tickets & PR, I just want to
> > point to a new pending major functionality to improve management of
> > virtual mosaics with a very large number of tiles/sources (> tens of
> > thousands of tiles), by referencing them as features of a vector layer
> > (typically created by gdaltindex), instead of a XML file as in
> > traditional VRT, augmented with additional metadata.
> >
> > More details in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8983 (and in
> > initial ticket in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/8861)
> >
> > Even
> >
> --