[gdal-dev] Is there any RHEL repo for relatively new GDAL versions?

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Jan 30 07:09:00 PST 2024

Hi,

The newest GDAL in the official RHEL repo is 3.4.3, released 2022-04-22. There used to be GDAL 3.7 available from the PostgreSQL repo https://yum.postgresql.org/repopackages/ and we have been using that, but the version was removed recently. Some other user was unhappy as well and created a bug
Bug #7943: Providers missing from pgdg-common for GDAL 3.7 (RHEL/CentOS/AlmaLinux 8) - PostgreSQL YUM Repository - Redmine - PostgreSQL community<https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/7943>

That user got this feedback:
"Why did you install GDAL 3.7? The packages are in the repo, but they were never required by any released GIS suite. I even removed them from git a couple of weeks ago:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgrpms.git;a=commitdiff;h=059f17f664ab093af35389dc7ec7b62c5a9f3fe2
Commit comment: gdal35 and gdal37: Remove from the repo. Not used in any packages.

By our agency's IT policy compiling GDAL by ourselves is not possible. Can anyone suggest other acceptable means for getting at least GDAL 3.7 for RHEL 8?

-Jukka Rahkonen-