[gdal-dev] Is there any RHEL repo for relatively new GDAL versions?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jan 30 07:50:07 PST 2024

Hi Jukka,

this is a unfortunate move. You may have to create a custom package,
possibly inspired from src.rpm from recent Fedora
(https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gdal). I see Markus Neteler did one
for GDAL 3.0.4 for RHEL 7 in
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/neteler/GDAL/

Or I assume that you may install it also from conda-forge. I believe
their Linux binaries should run on RHEL 8.

Actually, quickly checking with AlmaLinux 8, a free clone of RHEL 8:

# docker run --rm -it almalinux:8

# dnf install wget
# wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh
# sh Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh   # answer to default questions
with [Enter]
# source /root/miniconda3/bin/activate
# conda install -c conda-forge gdal
# gdalinfo --version
GDAL 3.8.3, released 2024/01/04

Or if you only use command line utilities, use Docker images

PS: IT policies are weird. It is paradoxical to trust more an outside
source for binaries rather than building your own from source...

Even