[gdal-dev] Using a "standard" argument parser for command line utilities?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Mar 8 07:40:44 PST 2024

Hi,

Our command line C++ utilities use ad-hoc manual parsing, which means that:

-  the usage message must be manually composed,

-  you must take care to check that there are enough remaining arguments
for the ones that take value to avoid out-of-bounds accesses (tests like
argc + 1 < argn)

- detection for duplicated arguments when only a single occurrence is
allowed must be manually done, nd thus is often not done, confusing
users, cf https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/9415

- etc.

I've come across https://github.com/p-ranav/argparse which fit all my
requirements at first sight: compatible with our C++ requirements
(C++17), MIT license, easily usable (single header), well documented,
and enough feature-full. From a quick testing, it seems to work well. It
looks also as it has taken some inspiration from the Python argparse module.

I'd be tempted to give that a try to retrofit our existing utilities
(probably starting with the ones with the less options :-)). Opinions? I
guess there must be a plethora of similar projects, due to the absence
of a std::argparse module... At least I see it is in the list of (9)
alternatives mentioned at
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/links/libs?source=post_page---------------------------#Configuration:Command_Line

CLI11 looked like a candidate too, but reading
https://github.com/CLIUtils/CLI11?tab=readme-ov-file#features-not-supported-by-this-library
"There are some other possible "features" that are intentionally not
supported by this library:... Non-standard variations on syntax, like
|-long| options. This is non-standard and should be avoided, so that is
enforced by this library." . Fair enough, but we use that extensively in
GDAL.

Even