[gdal-dev] (no subject) force PAM

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Mar 8 02:36:56 PST 2024

Hi,

I only managed to force the creation of the .aux.gml file with a workaround.

gdal_translate p4433h.tif test.tif -co profile=baseline

In this case it seems that not even --config GDAL_PAM_ENABLED YES is needed but test.tif.aux.xml gets created. Maybe the same PAM file works also for the non-baseline versions of that tiff file.

With GeoTIFF, COG, or VRT as output format  --config GDAL_PAM_ENABLED YES does not trigger the creation of the PAM file.
I think that storing the same metadata into two distinct places (GeoTIFF tags and .aux.xml) is generally speaking a bad idea because sooner or later the two versions do not match any more. But I guess that it could be convenient to read the plain text aux.xml file from the cloud before touching the main TIFF.

-Jukka Rahkonen-