[OSGeodata] Geodata meeting this Thursday 1600GMT, 1100EST

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Nov 2 09:11:31 EST 2006

dear Norman, thanks for the braindump,
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:25:59AM -0000, Norman Barker wrote:
> I note all the good work done by Geotools, and Geonetwork if any reps
> are on the IRC perhaps we can discuss
>
> 1) License of Geonetwork - GPL not very vendor friendly

That's interesting. Could it be effectively possible to relicense
"less restrictedly" even during copyright transfer? And yes I wonder
how the GeoNetwork community generally thinks about this.

> 2) Plans of GeoServer to go 'more' enterprise with Spring / EJB

> 3) Transactions, security, simplicity through annotations

I definitely want to hear more about the possibility of a
wfs-basic-transaction-and-versioning. Is that getting carried away? :)

> 4) Cluster deployment

Of Geoserver/GeoNetwork specifically? Or of geodata catalog / discovery
services of any kind? Is "cluster" the right term also in the context
of data storage and distribution?

> Apologies if this lacks some of the vision of discussing general
> catalogs; for this I am focusing on implementation with a particular
> group of technologies and I hope this still fits in.

This fits in to the centre of things, viewed from here; any model /
interface / protocol conversation is all about each of our specific
implementation goals, if there are visions involved they are local
ones i hope. Your contribution is much appreciated.

cheers,

jo