[OSGeodata] Posal codes of Germany

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Nov 22 10:14:52 EST 2006

You should also check out the Postal Address Geo Coder. This project is
to support public geocoding and the project might be interested in other
postal data.

http://www.pagcgeo.org/

Check it out. And yes it's open source.

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnulf Christl [mailto:arnulf.christl at ccgis.de]
Sent: November 22, 2006 08:25
To: geodata at geodata.osgeo.org
Subject: [OSGeodata] Posal codes of Germany

Hi,
I would like to host 8270 postal code polygons of Germany in OSGeo's
geodata repository. Ideally as downloadable PostGIS SQL Dump and shape
file as well as WMS and WFS services. At a later stage (when I finally
got around to finishing off implementing an automated history) also as
WFS-T with a Mapbender digitizing front end for people to maintain the
polygons Wiki style.

The data is currently dual licensed as GNU FDL and PGL in the hope that
one of the two will eventually win out or be replaced by yet another
document license. I am the sole copyright holder and can branch and
relicense at any time. I would like to transfer this copyright to the
OSGeo foundation as soon as there is a mechanism to do this. I am
prepared to guinea pig this process if required. The data has been
publicly available for download since 2002 and has spread into many
different projects. Having a sole point of access from the OSGeo
repository would make things a lot easier for people using the data. The
boundaries represent the status of 1999 (after the last major changes
resulting from merging eastern and western Germany have been included).
Data precision is about 15 meters which for most questions seems to be
enough. The data might not be geometrically exact with respect to CITE
criteria. An automated or semi automated quality assurance tool
(GeoServer, JumpGIS?) co uld help to produce some more meta data
describing the quality. Ideally the meta data would also be maintained
in the OSGeo repository.

Please bear with my ignorance and point me to the places I have to go to
get all this done. There is no hurry.

Thanks a lot,
Arnulf.