[Geodata] geotorrents?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Fri Mar 9 14:03:12 EST 2007

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear Chris, glad to hear you finally got it all packaged up.
>
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 12:23:40PM -0500, Chris Holmes wrote:
>> Hey, so I have my sigma/tiger data (postgis dumps of roads, water,
>> landmarks, vmap0 countries and gnis, with geoserver configurations) all
>> ready to distribute.
> 1. Where should I put them?
>
> Schuyler volunteered at the last meeting to maintain status on this
> and be 'pointer person'. I've been out of this loop for awhile.
> I'd be curious to know what the extent of overlap is with Martin's
> work on augmented Vmap0 for flightgear, whether it's interesting to
> squash to two together, or distribute your offering as a clear
> package.
The impetus for this email is actually the pain I'm going through to get
it to Martin.  Putting it all on a geotorrent is easier for me, though
harder for him.   So I'm working on ftping it, and should hopefully get
it all across that way and he'll combine and whatnot.  I'm happy for his
stuff to be 'the' osgeo package, but I'll probably still want to
distribute mine, both as a US focused one and an example of how to set
up GeoServer.

> Also remember 'no data without metadata'. It's incumbent upon me to
> provide you with a quick and clean way of annotating what is in your
> package. I wonder what it contains already. ,)
I have a 'geoserver data directory' that links to the TIGER/VMAP0/GNIS
metadata.  Tiger in particular is not all that helpful, since it says
nothing about particular layers.  So I include a bit more in the W*S
'abstract' section of each layer, about what it contains and what
generalization we did, ect.

> Also at the last meeting We Agreed to start using the shiny new OSGeo
> trac installation to keep notes on What Is To Be Done on the geodata
> repository. I have not looked at the web in 2 months. I`m so relaxed.
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?component=Geodata
>
> I could happily create a ticket while not logged in, alternatively
> any regular OSGeo LDAP username and password should also work.
I can create a ticket, but I'm not sure what for?  Just to have someone
make a place for me to upload this to?

> 2. Do we have some sort of geotorrent set up?
>
> Not yet. I'd really like to start a tracker. The project I am working
> on at the moment is a torrent-based distribution which allows you to
> peer with people who want the same spatial or temporal extents,
> hooking neatly into catalog services. I would love to be able to test
> the implementation from telascience but ETA is a couple months off.
>
> In the meantime, why not start a tracker anyway.
> Should we tickle the social connections with geotorrents.org
> It'll work better if the offering is 'promoted' and a lot of people
> are sharing the load. I wonder how we can do that.
That'd be great.  I'm happy to share the load on TOPP servers, I've got
2-3 boxes I can put it on.  And I may know a few others who might offer
resources as long as we're sharing.  I just don't want to be hit with
the whole load, and I hope that this way as it gets out there more peers
will share the load as well.

>> Copyright is creative commons by-sa, to TOPP, but I'm open to changing
>> things if there's good reasons.
>
> I've been blanking on openstreetmap-legal-talk recently, but there's
> been what looks like an Actually Productive Licensing Discussion
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2007-March/thread.html
> Partic. Richard F is starting to compile good 'gonzo legal' information.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Case_law

Cool, I'll check this out.  I had good talks with Creative Commons,
which lead me to my interpretation of by-sa with regards to geodata, and
why I chose it.  Like it doesn't 'infect' other layers.  I need to push
on them more to see where they're at and to push on it more.

>> We've also been making good progress on WFS-T versioning, and hopefully
>> may be able to open up this data to shared editing when we get it
>> further along.
>
> Super, then you will run into all the painful attribution questions :)
Yeah, I'll get some advice from CC and SFLC before I go live with it,
hopefully set something up early.

> Glad to hear of so much progress!
Thanks!  Yeah, have been going sort of on my own, but I want to put it
in line with OSGeo, and to do more for OSgeo as I've been a bit
negligent lately.  And geodata is by far the area that excites me the most.

Oh yeah, I've also got 2004 .6 meter orthos for all of NYC.  About 5
gigs of tiffs.  I can throw them up on a geotorrent as well.  And don't
we also have the boston orthos?

Next step for me after that is to set up a WMS and TileCache.

Chris

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project