[Geodata] Geodata Mission

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Nov 19 11:37:29 EST 2007

Christopher wrote: "So we built http://data.freemap.in/ -- which, so far
as I'm aware, had no serious complaints against it. It's been there for
Many Months -- and no one has used it, or organized around it,
presumably because it is not as feature-filled as GeoNetwork or
something."

I was unaware of this portal. I think it is a great idea.

Christopher wrote: "There are hundreds of
datasets out there -- disparate, hard to find, managed by agencies who
love to publish data but haven't the time to market it. OSGeo could take
the position of sheparding this data into the public eye, but so far
this route hasn't been taken."

I think this is an admirable goal. Even if OSGeo members simply worked
on publishing and/or cataloging publicly available data that they used
in their own work, this would be a start.

Christopher wrote: " So, what does the OSGeo Geodata committee want to
do? Build tools for managing data? Help promote data? Help figure out
the legal issues
around data? I think that the resources -- computational -- have been
there to do any of these for months, and we haven't pursued them. I
think that the software for managing these efforst has been around for
months as well -- and there has not been a serious effort towards
managing data or anything else along those lines, nor has there been (in
my opinion) a serious 'call to data holders' to share their data via
OSGeo."

You have outlined some great ideas, and indicated that a lot of the
resources we need to accomplish some of these tasks are already
available. I know I would be personally interested in:

[1] Resolving questions about geo-data licensing.
[2] Advocating and coordinating the release of public geospatial data.

I think I might be able to coordinate some of this activity with my
efforts to get a California chapter of the OSGeo up and running. Members
interested in the Chapter could use the website you set up to catalog
sources of geospatial data in California. I'd also like to get some
geo-data licensing issues resolved and put together a letter to the
Southwestern Region of the United States Forest Service about releasing
their data in a format that is a little more open than ESRI's Personal
Geodatabase.

Landon