[Geodata] Geodata Mission

David William Bitner david.bitner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 12:08:54 EST 2007

> I think this is an admirable goal. Even if OSGeo members simply worked
> on publishing and/or cataloging publicly available data that they used
> in their own work, this would be a start.

Note your support on the wiki!

> You have outlined some great ideas, and indicated that a lot of the
> resources we need to accomplish some of these tasks are already
> available. I know I would be personally interested in:
>
> [1] Resolving questions about geo-data licensing.
> [2] Advocating and coordinating the release of public geospatial data.

Again, use the wiki to put all the thoughts and support/opposition to these
ideas.  Collating this stuff through email is way too scattered, I know it's
easier to just hit reply, but this is a case where I hope we can put the
extra small effort to try to get this stuff all in one place.

> I think I might be able to coordinate some of this activity with my
> efforts to get a California chapter of the OSGeo up and running. Members
> interested in the Chapter could use the website you set up to catalog
> sources of geospatial data in California. I'd also like to get some
> geo-data licensing issues resolved and put together a letter to the
> Southwestern Region of the United States Forest Service about releasing
> their data in a format that is a little more open than ESRI's Personal
> Geodatabase.

Use of Local Chapters sounds like a great thing to add to the lists on the
wiki!

I really would like to see the wiki page I set up as a brainstorming board.
Please, everyone, throw up any and all ideas (they don't have to be good,
they can be pipe dreams, whatever.  Once we have a good list (especially in
the "Purpose" section) then we can start winnowing things down and isolate
the themes that run through the lists.