[Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] defining a Geospatial Integration Showcase to be launched at FOSS4G 2009

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Fri Oct 24 18:10:57 EDT 2008

On 2008/10/24 10:24 AM, jo at frot.org wrote:
> dear Cameron, all,
>
>  Quoting Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>:
>  > Does OSGeo have an official stance on data licencing? If not, I think
>  > we should.
>
> No, it doesn't. Last year I started work on an "Open Geodata Licensing
> Guide";
> not a recommendation but an overview of the options with their benefits
> and drawbacks, written with an audience of public administrations in mind.
> It hasn't been updated in the light of recent discussions.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Guide_to_Public_Geodata_Licensing
>
>  An official stance could be Quite Powerful. I want to avoid stirring up
> fruitless controversy though!

Makes me ask the question - "what would be a suitable type
of forum at FOSS4G 2009 for this issue"?

For example, if there was an "OSGeo-approved geodata license",
then perhaps a traditional FOSS4G Presentation as part of the
conference program would suffice.

However, if "the answer" is still 'up in the air', then would
having a BOF session be suitable?

I wonder if some other forum might be better, because BOFs are
'self organizing', and at an individual BOF level, are not
planned/scheduled/advertised as part of the conference program.

At FOSS4G 2007 the only 'panel discussion' was at as part of
the closing plenary, so would this type of issue indicate that
consideration is warranted for some form of "moderated panel
discussion + audience question & answer session" as part of
the main conference program?

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems