[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City analytics - thematic labs

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Feb 16 05:56:22 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) <
patrick.hogan at nasa.gov> wrote:

> This outcome from this kind of competition would continually improve the
> quality of life for municipalities. And the notoriety of the solution
> providers, the university students and their professors, would be sweet
> music and resume magic!
>
> From the cities, we'll need a laundry list of well-defined use-cases that
> address a city's needs. Then we can challenge those nascent software
> engineers (and post doc gray beards) to solve accordingly.

It would be good to create another OSGeo wiki page to start building this
laundry list. Chris, if you aren't familiar with that system, let me know
and I will do it.

I'll add that this Urban Science/Management thread might provide a common
topic for a collaborative grant proposal for the GeoForAll research lab
network.
I've often thought that a focus on the needs of local governments is an
important area where open source solutions could be particularly important.
So I hope some of you with interests in this can start to identify what
Patrick just proposed, and some of the key research or development needs. I
also am personally interested in the user needs as well (since that is what
I teach -- public policy and administration).

On my end, I've been stalled on grant proposal writing (I'm currently on
sabbatical this semester) because of visa problems but I hope to work on
such a proposal in April-May for our network and hope that this can be a
discussion item in the GeoForAll workshop at FOSS4G EU in Como. If anyone
on this list knows of RFPs for "research network building calls" that have
due dates later this year that we might go after, please let me know.

Cheers,
Charlie