[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City analytics - thematic labs

Phillip Davis pdavis at delmar.edu
Mon Feb 16 06:25:40 PST 2015

First step: Register your college or university as a node on the http://geoforall.org site please.  Strength in numbers.
From: ica-osgeo-labs-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [ica-osgeo-labs-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Charles Schweik [cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2015 7:56 AM
To: Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX)
Cc: ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org; Bhaduri,    Budhendra L.; Chandola, Varun; Jim Miller (miller at ittc.ku.edu); MELICK Brandt
Subject: Re: [Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City analytics - thematic labs

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) <patrick.hogan at nasa.gov<mailto:patrick.hogan at nasa.gov>> wrote:

This outcome from this kind of competition would continually improve the quality of life for municipalities. And the notoriety of the solution providers, the university students and their professors, would be sweet music and resume magic!

>From the cities, we'll need a laundry list of well-defined use-cases that address a city's needs. Then we can challenge those nascent software engineers (and post doc gray beards) to solve accordingly.

It would be good to create another OSGeo wiki page to start building this laundry list. Chris, if you aren't familiar with that system, let me know and I will do it.

I'll add that this Urban Science/Management thread might provide a common topic for a collaborative grant proposal for the GeoForAll research lab network.
I've often thought that a focus on the needs of local governments is an important area where open source solutions could be particularly important. So I hope some of you with interests in this can start to identify what Patrick just proposed, and some of the key research or development needs. I also am personally interested in the user needs as well (since that is what I teach -- public policy and administration).

On my end, I've been stalled on grant proposal writing (I'm currently on sabbatical this semester) because of visa problems but I hope to work on such a proposal in April-May for our network and hope that this can be a discussion item in the GeoForAll workshop at FOSS4G EU in Como. If anyone on this list knows of RFPs for "research network building calls" that have due dates later this year that we might go after, please let me know.

Cheers,
Charlie

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this email, including attachments, may be
privileged, proprietary, and/or confidential as provided by law.  The information in this email is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender by replying to the email message and immediately
return the email, attachments, and any and all copies to the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this email and received it in error, please be advised that you may be subject to civil liability for any
use of privileged, proprietary, and/or confidential information contained herein.