[Ica-osgeo-labs] "Geo for All Educator of the Year"

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Feb 24 06:04:43 PST 2015

Hi,

[Catching up on emails after a long travel period]

Suchith has done a nice job getting this started and a nominationstructure.
I am receiving nominations as we speak and am building a .

*But if there is a possible educator you want to nominate but doesn't fit
the current nominationstructure, please send the nomination anyway,
describing their contributions and why you think they are deserving of this
first awar Err on the side of more information than less. *

I will be starting a separate thread on this with the award committee, but
I am going to suggest that we ask people nominated to write a short text
about what they do and why from their perspective which will also be part
of the documentation for the committee to consider. Plus, just us notifying
people that they have just being nominated is an honor that might help some
educators as they build their CV.

Cheers
Charlie Schweik

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Suchith Anand <
Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> This is the first time we are doing this, so it is learning exercise. But
> the basic idea is to thank  all educators who contribute to Openness in
> GeoEducation and in whichever levels (from school teachers to university
> professors) and all disciplines (from forestry to civil engineering) and
> different languages  and medium . Hence we decided to name this "Geo for
> All Educator of the Year" but it will celebrate and thank all educators who
> are nominated for their contributions to Openness in GeoEducation.
>
> So we cannot have a fully prescriptive guidelines for all
> types/levels/mediums but we will adopt a holistic approach and use Antoni
> Pérez Navarro  list of essential information as background information and
> having a diverse set of people in the judging panel will help us. We will
> refine this in the future based on the lessons we learn this year. Also it
> is aimed also to promote the global Open Education Week activities in March.
>
> From my humble experience, i have learned that you cannot wait for
> everything to be in place to start any initiative. And the best example of
> that is "Geo for All" :)
>
> If you have specific ideas, please start putting together those guidelines
> and we will work with Charlie (who is the chair) to finalise the criteria.
>
> So let us all work together to refine ideas and learn and make it better
> as we go.

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545