[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City Analytics - NEW IDEA

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Feb 25 01:45:07 PST 2015

Hi Urban Science working group:

1) Great to see the edits/additions on the wiki [1]. Keep them coming.

2) I have an idea. (sorry for a long note, but I don't want to add this to
the wiki, at least yet).

I have added my colleague, Alexander 'Sasha' Stepanov to this email thread.
He is the 'GIS Architect' for our university campus. Sasha and I have had
an idea of offering a different type of advanced GIS course for students
that follows new pedagogies: "flipped" (uses online open access information
read outside of class), team-based learning, and service learning.

Sasha's enterprise GIS for our campus is amazing. He has been emphasizing
to me that it is a "small city" and there is an opportunity for students to
do projects working with him on different "city management" GIS
applications. For example, last semester we had two students do campus GIS
projects on Tree Management, and also Recycling Management. (this was using
ESRI technologies).

What I am wondering is how many others on this thread are at universities
that are using GIS to manage their campuses.

If there are some, I wonder about the idea of an educational grant proposal
to support our network that would:

1) Establish "City Analytics" systems to support our campuses;
2) Develop parallel "flipped, Team Based learning, Service learning"
classes run at the same time/semester across a network of campuses;
3) Include some webinars that all our classes would attend;
4) Build together a MOOC with open educational material that we would all
use and share in these courses.
5) We could test the learning of people just doing the MOOC versus the MOOC
and service learning as a research question.

Reactions? Anyone working at a university campus who would be interested in
these ideas?

Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics