[Ica-osgeo-labs] BOF in Portland: Some Ideas of certification

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Wed Jan 7 03:04:37 PST 2015

Folks,
I have been following the long and broad discussion around certification
last year. Again. Lots of fantastic ideas and then - nothing. It feels a
bit like "same procedure as every year" [1] mixed with Groundhog Day[2].
Which is why this time round I did not bother to join the choir.

Ah, admittedly, I am somewhat frustrated.

So where do we go from here? I have spent considerable time and effort
trying to push this forward as a privately funded initiative but to no
avail. So I am closing this project as failed and try not to mourn the
loss. It will not work in the way I though it would. Shit happens.

The last question before this thread died was whether OSGeo would give
its blessing to approach GISCI to lead such an effort. Answering
Phillip's question: Please go ahead.

But. Without somebody taking the lead nothing will happen (Q.E.D.). Who
will step up and finally get this going? I am happy to support anybody
who can push the right buttons but will not continue on my own account.

Have fun,
Arnulf

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boisQwkK7rs
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_%28film%29

On 27.09.2014 15:33, Phillip Davis wrote:
> My feeling to. The new executive director of GISCI that manages US GISP
> is fellow Texan Bill Hodge.  He's one of the easiest people to work with
> ever. Bill served on my advisory board for GeoTech when we assisted US
> DOL in completing GTCM now used to create the 2015 GISP technical exam.
> Bill currently serves on our Business Industry Leadership Team for the
> NISGTC that funded the QGIS courses so he knows our work intimately.
>
> With OSGeos blessing we could approach GISCI to lead such an effort?
>
> On Sep 27, 2014 8:25 AM, Chris Pettit <cpettit at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Interesting discussion.
>
> I have had quite a bit to do with certification in Australia and you might
> be interested to know that we have GISP-AP (Asia Pacific) which is linked
> directly to GISP so there is a model for GISP to work internationally.
>
> In my humble opinion I think we should further explore working with URISA
> and GISP and see if can  get something that meets our needs but is
> delivered in an existing certification program like GISP.
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> On 25/09/14 5:08 AM, "Phillip Davis" <pdavis at delmar.edu> wrote:
>
>>I would like to add Mr Bill Hodge of GISCI into the conversation.

>>> http://www.metaspatial.net/conferences/metaspatial-institute.html#/3
>>> [4]
>>> http://www.metaspatial.net/conferences/metaspatial-institute.html#/8