[Geo4All] Do you want to do a webinar about FOSS4G for Geo4All?

Andrea Giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:49:28 PST 2017

Dear Rafael and David,

Many thanks for your positive reaction to my proposal.

Having briefly consulted my colleagues last night (I will need a little
support from them in the preparation),  they are also enthusiastic about
the opportunity of sharing our experiences with this type of audience, so
let's do this!

*A) Why FOSS/FOSS4G for our work*: I grew up in a mixed proprietary/FOSS
environment...with these options, whenever I had the opportunity of
choosing a an approach, I always went for "F/OS" when possible, and -if
that was not possible- I invite people to consider how it would be possible
to go "F/OS" on the next round of a given project.

*B) About the time of the presentation:* I worked for some eight years for
a US company, and we had a lot of teleconferences (mostly on PST), so I am
flexible on the time...I would say please choose whatever time slot is
comfortable for your attendees...if you want to set this via a doodle poll,
that's also fine with me.

*C) Concerning the date:* two options here...it could be either next week
(Feb 16 or 17) or after mid-March, ideally even April.

What changes : having the webinar next week, I would essentially cut down a
50-minute selection of material which I have rehearsed at least 170 times
in public events (plus a lot more in meetings) over the past ten
years...this would be great and, even though I occasionally advertize
events and news on these mailing lists, I am sure what you hear will be of
interest for many.

At the same time, we would miss some level of elaboration on things which
have been happening since mid-December, and there have been A LOT of things
happening by our team (blog posts per month on pibinko.org after the Summer
went like 3-6-22-12 and 8 as of Feb 10). These things are related to our
project and are showing the cutting edge of what we do with our "F/OS"
approach.

However, in order to prepare a decent summary of the "cutting edge", we
need a little time and especially some "chill out" phase, which we do not
have right now (pls. see http://www.pibinko.org/calendar/).

...so: I am open to your choices on date (between Feb 16 or 17) or after
mid-March (with a date TBD ASAP, if this were to be your choice)

Many thanks for your attention, and best regards from Italy.

Andrea Giacomelli
http://www.pibinko.org
info at pibinko.org
+39 331 7539228 <+39%20331%20753%209228>
P. IVA: 01582480537