[Geo4All] [Foss4g-academic] Fwd: FOSS4G Boston: call for Academic (and not only) reviewers

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Mar 26 10:29:33 PDT 2017

Hi Michael, All:

*Wonderful* to see Ashley working in this role -- as a former graduate from
my program at UMass Amherst I can say she is a wonderful, bright and
talented individual!

This year I've been unexpectedly put in a position directing our new School
of Public Policy at UMass, so I've unfortunately not had the bandwidth to
help the LOC the way I would have liked. Sorry Michael, Guido, Andy, others
! :-/

But I'd be happy to step in to co-lead the academic review with one or two
others...

*@Helena, Maria, Andy, others -- anyone want to join me as a co-organizer? *

1) I might be able to get a paper review system established through our
Library's institutional repository.

2) Also, as a default, we might be able to use our Institutional Repository
to create and distribute a Conference Proceedings. I did this a couple
times prior for doctoral consortia where we got an ISBN # and self
published it. That could be our default. The other ideas might be to
publish under the OSGeo Journal banner, or best, would be that we establish
a contract with a geo-journal.

*Question to the group*: Does anyone have a connection to a geo-related
peer-reviewed journal that we could reach out to about whether they'd be
interested in having a special issue of conference proceedings?

Cheers,

Charlie Schweik

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Michael Terner <mgt at appgeo.com> wrote:

> Maria:
> Thank you so much for putting out this call for assistance. And thanks to
> Venka for further spreading the word and to Helena for opening up the Scientific
> Committee on the OSGeo Wiki page
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017#Scientific_Committee>.
>
> Also, THANK YOU to all those who have volunteered so far. As per Maria's
> original message we need some short term help on reviewing the abstracts,
> but we are also looking for some longer term help. Here's is the skinny on
> what we need:
>
>    1. *Abstract Review:* With the Call for Presentations closed, we have
>    received 49 submissions that were self selected as "academic" which means
>    there is an intent to submit a paper in association with the presentation.
>    I have now read all 49 academic abstracts and have been hugely impressed
>    with the breadth of topics and the quality of research. It will be
>    *great* to add academic opinions to the selection process, as our
>    Program Committee is also reviewing these papers.
>    2. *Paper Review Process: *In addition, and as per previous posts to
>    the OSGeo Academic Subcommittee list from Andy Anderson (of Amherst
>    College), our Chair of the Program Committee, we are desperately searching
>    for a group of people who will help to organize the collection and review
>    of papers; and hopefully find a path to either publication and/or creating
>    a FOSS4G Conference Proceedings. In the short term, we need to post
>    guidance on paper production and submission to the website.
>
> The FOSS4G Team now has a fulltime Conference Organizing Assistant, Ashley
> Tardiff, and she will provide further guidance over the coming days. This
> will include:
>
>    1. Providing updates to the OSGeo Wiki Page
>    2. Distributing a spreadsheet that contains the 49 abstracts and other
>    relevant information
>    3. And identifying a format for providing scoring/feedback to the
>    Program Committee. Your input on scoring/feedback is *welcome.*
>
> Please let us know if you have any questions, and please help spread the
> word to identify further volunteers.
>
> Thanks again...
>
> MT
>> --
> *Michael Terner*
> *Executive Vice President & FOSS4G Boston 2017 Chair*
> Applied Geographics, Inc.
>

> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 2:22 AM, Maria Antonia Brovelli <
> maria.brovelli at polimi.it> wrote:
>
>> Thank you so much!Yes, I will.
>> Happy weekend
>> Maria
>>

>> Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Charlie Schweik

Professor, Department of Environmental Conservation &
Interim Director of the School of Public Policy,
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

"Make positive change in your sphere of influence." -- CMS