[Geo4All] Geo4All at UNWGIC 2018

ivana ivanova ivaiva3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 19:15:21 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

as you may recall, several of us recently participated in various sessions
at the UNWGIC 2018. This was a very well organized and attended event with
many parallel sessions discussion what should geoinfo professionals do to
achieve sustainable development goals (SDGs).

Geo4All has been present in the presentation prepared by Maria and I in the
session on capacity development to implement SDGs - the slides are
available from here: slides here:
https://www.unwgic2018.org/portal/article/programme/id/214

All UNWGIC 2018 presentations are available from here:
https://www.unwgic2018.org/programme.html (navigate by session).

Allow me one observation:
In general, there was a lot of talk about who does what wonderful 'geo
things' (unfortunately, but not surprisingly, these talks included at times
not so well hidden company promotions) to achieve SDGs at UNWGIC2018, but
to my great surprise ours seems to be one of the few presentations (if not
the only one) stressing the importance of open education, community efforts
and building and sharing open educational resources.. Well, opinions about
how 'not to leave anyone behind' may differ, but I am convinced that the
great work Geo4All is doing needs to continue.

Regards,
Ivana

*Dr. Ivana Ivánová*
Senior Lecturer/FrontierSI (former CRCSI) Research Fellow

Spatial Sciences
School of Earth and Planetary Sciences

Faculty of Science and Engineering

*Curtin University*