[Geo4All] [OSGeo-Discuss] The International Day of Non-Violence

Alexander Kmoch alexander.kmoch at ut.ee
Thu Oct 5 03:37:40 PDT 2023

Dear Christian,

I find you described the context quite well. I agree.

Alex

Alexander Kmoch
Research Fellow Geoinformatics
Department of Geography
University of Tartu

WW: https://geograafia.ut.ee
TW: https://twitter.com/allixender

On 5. Oct 2023, at 12:04, Christian Willmes via GeoForAll <geoforall at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

I did answer Sergio privately already, but I also need to give my 2 cents on this publicly. Because it bugs me. Sorry in advance! Take it easy please. :-)

What you (Sergio, Maria, Kavita, Rafael, John) are doing here is derailing Stevens rightful and polite request to stick to the lists topic, and bringing this on a personal/social level by accusing Steven he is out of touch and corrupting the communication environment, exclude perspectives and what not. This is not Ok, from my point of view. And it is indeed a form of social violence...

I think Suchith is a grown man (and professional) and can take such feedback without getting personally offended. But if so, he can very well defend himself if he thinks that he needs to defend himself. AFAIK he is a native english speaker and has the highest academic degree you can achieve... I know that Steven and Suchith know each other form the FOSS4G-UK community, so they should be able to settle this between each other just fine.

But on the topic, I second Stevens request of please sending less off-topic messages on this (and other) lists, I also regard public 1 line congratulations and seconds without any relevant information on the discussed topic as unnecessary and irrelevant traffic (these kind of messages are - from my perception - at least 50% of messages on this GeoForAll list). Are you not interested in decreasing your daily incoming mails?

Where are we when we can't give this kind of feedback or bring up such matters/opinions? Others just unsubscribe from the list and do not give this - from my point of view - valuable feedback...

Take it easy!
Best,
Christian