[geomoose-psc] [OpenLayers-Users] Future of OpenLayers or OL3

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:20:00 PST 2012

Bob,

Besides not historically having developer resources to generally have
more than one version officially in play at at time, I think a lot of
what you are saying is already happening.  I know of at least two groups
who are pushing well beyond the base GeoMoose codebase (and are
contributing back enhancements as they stabilize).  So, playpens to try
out experimental ideas already exist and anyone is free to create their own.

In terms of official releases, we need to maintain a stable and
predictable product and try to maintain compatibility between versions.
I don't think we need a bunch of different varieties of GeoMoose to
satisfy different experiences (WebGL/Mobile/IE).  I think the
flexibility is already there in GeoMoose to tailor the functionality to
be appropriate to the browser/device without needing to develop what
would essentially become separate products.

Jim