[geomoose-psc] Proper way of incrementing the version in Git?

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:01:22 PDT 2016

IMHO a new build system has nothing to do with it in so far as it is
already partially automated.

The real question is when do we update the version (in the html and docs or
in a central variable).

I think that it would be less confusing if master and the release branches
are updated in git immediately after the release so that people don't
confuse them as the same as the tagged release.

The only issue I see is we may not know what the next release should be
called (patch or minor or major update).  Ideally this wouldn't matter
because it would be determined by branch (eg the 2.8 branch can only have
the next 2.8.x+1 release) while master is always ahead at least a minor.